- Family : FABACEAE
(PEA OR BEAN FAMILY)
- Family (as per The Plant List) : Leguminosae
- Subfamily : Mimosoideae
- Species : Acacia ferruginea
- Species Name (as per The Plant List) : Acacia ferruginea DC.
- Common name : Foreign White Sundra
- Vernacular name : Safed Khair (Hin.); Banni (Kan.); Parambai (Tam.); Anasandra (Tel.); Kanta chira (Ori.)
- Key identification features : An armed, moderate-sized deciduous tree. Bark rough, rusty-brown with spines, short hooked, in pairs. Leaves are bipinnate, 4.5 inches with large, gland on the petiole and another between the uppermost pair of pinnae. Stipular spines are short, hooked and in pairs. Pinnae 3-6 pairs with leaflets about 10-20 pairs. Flowers are pale yellow, in slender, axillary spikes. Pod is straight, flat, thin and strap shaped.
- Habit : Tree
- Flower, Fruit : March-May; November-January
- Native : Sri Lanka
- Comments : In foothills of scrub jungles.
- Conservation Status : Vulnerable (VU)
- Distribution Locality : Bellary district (Karnataka State); Dharmapuri Hills (Dharmapuri district), Salem district, Gingee Hills (Vellore district, former North Arcot), Coimbatore district (Tamil Nadu State); Srikakulam district, Visakhapatnam district, East Godavari district (Andhra Pradesh State); Ganjam district, Bolong forest (Angul district) (Odisha State)
- World Distribution : India, Sri Lanka, Myanmar
- Literature : Pullaiah et al., 2001 - Flora of Eastern Ghats Vol. 2; H.O. Saxena & M. Brahmam, 1994- Flora of Orissa Vol. 1; IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2014.1. ; N.P.Singh, 1988. Flora of Eastern Karnataka; Matthew, K.M., The Flora of Tamil Nadu Carnatic, Vol.3 (1). Diocesan Press, Madras. 1983.
- Citation : Sankara Rao, K., Arun Singh R., Deepak Kumar, Raja K Swamy and Navendu Page (2016). Digital Flora of Eastern Ghats. http://easternghats.ces.iisc.ernet.in/plants.php?name=Acacia ferruginea. Downloaded on 15 July 2020.