- Family : FABACEAE
(PEA OR BEAN FAMILY)
- Family (as per The Plant List) : Leguminosae
- Subfamily : Mimosoideae
- Species : Acacia leucophloea
- Basionym : Mimosa leucophloea Roxb.
- Species Name (as per The Plant List) : Acacia leucophloea (Roxb.) Willd.
- Common name : White Babool, White-Barked Acacia, White Acacia
- Vernacular name : Safed Babul, Safedkikar, Nimbar (Hin.); Bili jali (Kan.); Velvaelam (Tam.); Tella tumma (Tel.); Gohira (Ori.); Arimedah (San.)
- Key identification features : A medium size armed tree. Bark is grey smooth when young, dark brown, blackish, rough when old, exfoliating in irregular scales, forming a characteristic globose galls. Blaze light red. Flowers are small, cream to yellow-coloured and aggregate into globose (1.5 cm.) inflorescences which are in turn distributed on terminal panicles. Pod is brown, flat, curved and densely hairy.
- Habit : Tree
- Flower, Fruit : August-February
- Comments : Occasional in plains up to 1000 m in dry deciduous forests. Bark is used in distilling local arrack; also yields a good rough fibre. The timber is used in agricultural implements, carts and cart wheels and for turnery.
- Conservation Status : Not Evaluated (NE)
- Distribution Locality : Throughout Eastern Ghats
- World Distribution : India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indo-China, Indonesia
- Literature : Pullaiah et al., 2001 - Flora of Eastern Ghats Vol. 2; J.L.Ellis, 1987- Flora of Nallamalais Vol. 1 ; R. S. Rao et al., 1986 - Flora of West Godavari District ; R. S. Rao and S. H. Sreeramulu, 1986 - Flora of Srikakulam District; H. O. Saxena and M. Brahmam, 1989 - The Flora of Similipal, Orissa; N.P.Singh, 1988. Flora of Eastern Karnataka; Matthew, K.M., The Flora of Tamil Nadu Carnatic, Vol.3 (1). Diocesan Press, Madras. 1983.
- Citation : Sankara Rao, K., Arun Singh R., Deepak Kumar, Raja K Swamy and Navendu Page (2016). Digital Flora of Eastern Ghats. http://easternghats.ces.iisc.ernet.in/plants.php?name=Acacia leucophloea. Downloaded on 15 July 2020.