- Family : FABACEAE
(PEA OR BEAN FAMILY)
- Family (as per The Plant List) : Leguminosae
- Subfamily : Mimosoideae
- Species : Albizia amara
- Basionym : Mimosa amara Roxb.
- Species Name (as per The Plant List) : Albizia amara (Roxb.) B.Boivin
- Vernacular name : Unjal (Hin.); Chigare, Tugli mara (Kan.); Usilai, Unjaa (Tam.); Nallrange, Chikreni (Tel.)
- Key identification features : An unarmed small to medium sized deciduous tree with rounded crown and with fissured, rough bark. Leaves are bipinnate with a gland on the petiole, densely pubescent, pinnae with about 6-15 pairs, leaflets of about 10-46 pairs. Flowers are small and in head inflorescence, white or flushed pink. Corolla is yellow. Stamens are long, with pinkish filament. Pod is thin, flat, brown and distinctly stalked with 6-8 seeds.
- Habit : Tree
- Flower, Fruit : March-December
- Comments : Common in dry deciduous forests of Eastern Ghats. A dominant tree at the foot hills to about 500-1200 m.
- Conservation Status : Least Concern (LC)
- Distribution Locality : Throughout Eastern Ghats
- World Distribution : India, Sri Lanka, Tropical Africa
- Literature : Pullaiah et al., 2001 - Flora of Eastern Ghats Vol. 2; H.O. Saxena & M. Brahmam, 1994- Flora of Orissa Vol. 1 ; R. S. Rao et al., 1986 - Flora of West Godavari District; N.P.Singh, 1988. Flora of Eastern Karnataka; Matthew, K.M., The Flora of Tamil Nadu Carnatic, Vol.3 (1). Diocesan Press, Madras. 1983.; Naidu, M.T. & O.A. Kumar (2015). Tree species diversity in the Eastern Ghats of northern Andhra Pradesh, India. Journal of Threatened Taxa 7(8): 7443-7459
- Citation : Sankara Rao, K., Arun Singh R., Deepak Kumar, Raja K Swamy and Navendu Page (2016). Digital Flora of Eastern Ghats. http://easternghats.ces.iisc.ernet.in/plants.php?name=Albizia amara. Downloaded on 15 July 2020.