- Family : MYRSINACEAE
- Family (as per The Plant List) : Primulaceae
- Species : Ardisia solanacea
- Species Name (as per The Plant List) : Ardisia solanacea (Poir.) Roxb.
- Vernacular name : Bisi (Hin.); Manipushpam, Kozhuruchi, Kozhikkottai (Tam.); Konda mayur, Chilukarekka, Kunti, Konda bhogada, Adavi mayuri, Pagadmulaka (Tel.); Kadna, Katapenga, Bat-guri, Narsinghara, Hadokonkali, Jhartarat, Nursingkara, Bantala, Khati phalo, Kudna, Tinkoli (Ori.)
- Key identification features : A large shrub to a small tree up to 4-6 m tall. Branches are reddish-brown in colour. Leaves are simple, leathery, young leaves are pinkish, elliptic, shortly acuminate, pellucid dotted when dry, 17 cm long, 7 cm broad, flowers are light, mauve to rose coloured. Fruit is a drupe, pink at first, finally turning black, pulp is white with juice purple. (Adams 1972)
- Habit : Shrub
- Flower, Fruit : March-September
- Native : Indian sub-continent
- Comments : On hills above 1000 m on shola floor, less on exposed thickets.
- Conservation Status : Not Evaluated (NE)
- Distribution Locality : Throughout Eastern Ghats
- World Distribution : India, Sri Lanka, Tropical Himalaya, West China, Myanmar, Malaysia
- Literature : Pullaiah et al., 2011 - Flora of Eastern Ghats Vol. 4; H.O. Saxena & M. Brahmam, 1995- Flora of Orissa Vol. 2 ; R. S. Rao et al., 1986 - Flora of West Godavari District ; R. S. Rao and S. H. Sreeramulu, 1986 - Flora of Srikakulam District ; H. O. Saxena and M. Brahmam, 1989 - The Flora of Similipal, Orissa; Matthew, K.M., The Flora of Tamil Nadu Carnatic, Vol.3 (1). Diocesan Press, Madras. 1983.
- Citation : Sankara Rao, K., Arun Singh R., Deepak Kumar, Raja K Swamy and Navendu Page (2016). Digital Flora of Eastern Ghats. http://easternghats.ces.iisc.ernet.in/plants.php?name=Ardisia solanacea. Downloaded on 3 July 2020.