- Family : RUBIACEAE
(COFFEE FAMILY OR MADDER FAMILY)
- Family (as per The Plant List) : Rubiaceae
- Species : Gardenia latifolia
- Species Name (as per The Plant List) : Gardenia latifolia Aiton
- Common name : Indian Boxwood
- Vernacular name : Papra, Ban-pindalu, Paphar (Hin.); Kaadu bikke, Kambi, Kalkambi (Kan.); Kaattu marikkalam, Kalkottai, Kumbai (Tam.); Pedda bikki, Adavi bikki, Tharpi chettu, Pedda manga, Pedda karinguva, Karinga, Gaigar (Tel.); Damkudum, Kotaranga, Damkurudu, Jantia, Dambaru, Kotranga, Danbasu, Daimbaru, Dimaru, Papra (Ori.)
- Key identification features : A medium-sized unarmed deciduous tree with conspicuous yellow resin. Bark is greenish-grey, exfoliating and leaving rounded depressions. Leaves are simple, elliptic-obovate up to 16 cm long, 9 cm wide, nerves 12-18 pairs, nervules parallel. Flowers are solitary, corolla is white, 5-9 lobed becoming yellow with age. Fruit is a berry.
- Habit : Tree
- Flower, Fruit : February-April; August-March
- Comments : Common in open forests, rocky hills in deciduous forests up to 1000 m in full sun. Wood is used for engraving, turnery, comb making etc.
- Conservation Status : Not Evaluated (NE)
- Distribution Locality : Shevaroy Hills (Salem district) (Tamil Nadu State); Srikakulam district, Visakhapatnam district, East Godavari district, West Godavari district, Prakasham district, Kurnool district, Nellore district, Kadapa district, Chittoor district (Andhra Pradesh State); Similipal Hills (Mayurbhanj district), Gandhamardan Hill (Bargarh district), Ganjam district, Koraput district (Odisha State)
- World Distribution : India, Sri Lanka
- Literature : Pullaiah et al., 2007 - Flora of Eastern Ghats Vol. 3; J.L.Ellis, 1987- Flora of Nallamalais Vol. 1; H.O. Saxena & M. Brahmam, 1995- Flora of Orissa Vol. 2 ; R. S. Rao et al., 1986 - Flora of West Godavari District ; R. S. Rao and S. H. Sreeramulu, 1986 - Flora of Srikakulam District; H. O. Saxena and M. Brahmam, 1989 - The Flora of Similipal, Orissa; Matthew, K.M., The Flora of Tamil Nadu Carnatic, Vol.3 (1). Diocesan Press, Madras. 1983.
- Citation : Sankara Rao, K., Arun Singh R., Deepak Kumar, Raja K Swamy and Navendu Page (2016). Digital Flora of Eastern Ghats. http://easternghats.ces.iisc.ernet.in/plants.php?name=Gardenia latifolia. Downloaded on 11 August 2020.