- Family : SOLANACEAE
(NIGHTSHADE FAMILY OR BRINJAL FAMILY)
- Family (as per The Plant List) : Solanaceae
- Species : Solanum erianthum
- Species Name (as per The Plant List) : Solanum erianthum D. Don
- Vernacular name : Asheta (Hin.); Malaichundai, Aanai sundaikkai (Tam.); Gurra-pudeccha, Rasagadi maanu (Tel.); Donka bejji, Orso (Ori.)
- Key identification features : A large densely hairy shrub. Leaves are large, ovate-lanceolate and entire. Flowers are in corymbose cymes. Petals white and hairy. Fruit is a globose berry turning yellow when ripe.
- Habit : Shrub
- Flower, Fruit : Throughout the Year
- Native : South America
- Comments : Occasional on hills above 800 m, on slopes.
- Conservation Status : Not Evaluated (NE)
- Distribution Locality : Kolar district (Karnataka State); Yercaud Hills (Salem district), Melpatti R.F. (Vellore district, former North Arcot), Javadhu Hills (Tiruvannamalai district, former North Arcot) (Tamil Nadu State); Bodulur R.F. (East Godavari district), Araku Valley (Visakhapatnam district), Horsley Hills (Chittoor district), Srikakulam district (Andhra Pradesh State); Ganjam district, Similipal Hills (Mayurbhanj district), Koraput district (Odisha State)
- World Distribution : Introduced in most parts of the world.
- Literature : Pullaiah et al., 2011 - Flora of Eastern Ghats Vol. 4; H.O. Saxena & M. Brahmam, 1995- Flora of Orissa Vol. 2 ; R. S. Rao and S. H. Sreeramulu, 1986 - Flora of Srikakulam District ; H. O. Saxena and M. Brahmam, 1989 - The Flora of Similipal, Orissa; N.P.Singh, 1988. Flora of Eastern Karnataka; Matthew, K.M., The Flora of Tamil Nadu Carnatic, Vol.3 (1). Diocesan Press, Madras. 1983.
- Citation : Sankara Rao, K., Arun Singh R., Deepak Kumar, Raja K Swamy and Navendu Page (2016). Digital Flora of Eastern Ghats. http://easternghats.ces.iisc.ernet.in/plants.php?name=Solanum erianthum. Downloaded on 11 August 2020.