- Family : TILIACEAE
(LINDEN FAMILY OR JUTE FAMILY)
- Family (as per The Plant List) : Malvaceae
- Species : Grewia damine
- Species Name (as per The Plant List) : Grewia damine Gaertn.
- Vernacular name : Ulpi (Kan.); Chittijana (Tel.)
- Key identification features : Erect trees, sometimes scandent. Bark dark brown to blackish in colour, fissured, but not scaly, reddish layers within.
- Habit : Tree
- Flower, Fruit : July-November
- Comments : Occasional in dry forests of Eastern Ghats. Branches make excellent walking sticks. Fruits are relished by Sloth Bears and birds. (Neginhal, 2011)
- Conservation Status : Not Evaluated (NE)
- Distribution Locality : Bellary district (Karnataka State); Melagiri Hills, Hoganekkal R.F. (Dharmapuri district) (Tamil Nadu State); Srikakulam district, Visakhapatnam district, Krishna district, Maredumili Hills (East Godavari district), West Godavari district, Macherla R.F. (Guntur district), Anantapur district, Madhavaram R.F. (Kurnool district) (Andhra Pradesh State)
- World Distribution : India, Nepal, Pakistan, Tropical Africa
- Literature : Pullaiah et al., 2002 - Flora of Eastern Ghats Vol. 1; J.L.Ellis, 1987- Flora of Nallamalais Vol. 1 ; R. S. Rao et al., 1986 - Flora of West Godavari District ; R. S. Rao and S. H. Sreeramulu, 1986 - Flora of Srikakulam District; N.P.Singh, 1988. Flora of Eastern Karnataka; Matthew, K.M., The Flora of Tamil Nadu Carnatic, Vol.3 (1). Diocesan Press, Madras. 1983.; Neginhal, S.G., Forest Trees of the Western Ghats includes Eastern Ghats and Deccan Plateau. 2011.
- Citation : Sankara Rao, K., Arun Singh R., Deepak Kumar, Raja K Swamy and Navendu Page (2016). Digital Flora of Eastern Ghats. http://easternghats.ces.iisc.ernet.in/plants.php?name=Grewia damine. Downloaded on 11 August 2020.