- Family : ASTERACEAE
(ASTER or SUNFLOWER FLOWER)
- Family (as per The Plant List) : Compositae
- Species : Vernonia divergens
- Species Name (as per The Plant List) : Acilepis divergens (Roxb.) H.Rob. & Skvarla
- Vernacular name : Kaattupoovu, Poomakilaa (Tam.)
- Key identification features : A shrub upto 4 m. Heads small, usually about 5-flowered, in large corrymbose panicle.
- Habit : Shrub
- Flower, Fruit : November-May
- Native : Indo-Malay
- Comments : On hills above 900 m. Common on the slopes, colonizer.
- Conservation Status : Not Evaluated (NE)
- Distribution Locality : Bellary district (Karnataka State); Sirumalai Hills (Dindigul district), Shevaroy Hills (Salem district), Kolli Hills (Namakkal district), Dharmapuri district (Tamil Nadu State); Kurnool district, Visakhapatnam district, West Godavari district, Srikakulam district (Andhra Pradesh State); Ganjam district, Similipal Hills (Mayurbhanj district), Koraput district (Odisha State)
- World Distribution : India, Myanmar, Malay Peninsula
- Literature : Pullaiah et al., 2007 - Flora of Eastern Ghats Vol. 3; J.L.Ellis, 1990- Flora of Nallamalais Vol. 2; H.O. Saxena & M. Brahmam, 1995- Flora of Orissa Vol. 2 ; R. S. Rao et al., 1986 - Flora of West Godavari District ; R. S. Rao and S. H. Sreeramulu, 1986 - Flora of Srikakulam District; H. O. Saxena and M. Brahmam, 1989 - The Flora of Similipal, Orissa; N.P.Singh, 1988. Flora of Eastern Karnataka; Matthew, K.M., The Flora of Tamil Nadu Carnatic, Vol.3 (1). Diocesan Press, Madras. 1983.
- Citation : Sankara Rao, K., Arun Singh R., Deepak Kumar, Raja K Swamy and Navendu Page (2016). Digital Flora of Eastern Ghats. http://easternghats.ces.iisc.ernet.in/plants.php?name=Vernonia divergens. Downloaded on 9 July 2020.