- Family : CLUSIACEAE
(GARCINIA or COCUM FAMILY)
- Family (as per The Plant List) : Clusiaceae
- Species : Garcinia xanthochymus
- Species Name (as per The Plant List) : Garcinia xanthochymus Hook.f. ex T.Anderson
- Common name : Mysore Gamboge, Egg Tree
- Vernacular name : Dampel Tamal (Hin.); Jaarige, Jeerage, Devajaarige (Kan.); Tamalamu, Ivarumidi, Iwaramamidi (Tel.); Satyamba, Sitambu, Rajambo, Cheoro, Chiuri, Chinyara (Ori.)
- Key identification features : A handsome evergreen tree, with angular branchlets. Leaves are simple, oblong-lanceolate up to 43 cm long, 11 cm broad. Flowers are unisexual, 5-merous, staminate flowers in fascicles on old stems. Stamens many in 5 bundles, each with 3-5 stamens. Ovary 5-locular, stigmas 5. Fruit is an edible berry, yellow when ripe.
- Habit : Tree
- Flower, Fruit : Throughout the Year
- Comments : Rare in evergreen forests, near stream of Eastern Ghats. The acidic fruits are edible. Sometimes planted.
- Conservation Status : Not Evaluated (NE)
- Distribution Locality : Srikakulam district, East Godavari district (Andhra Pradesh State); Similipal district (Mayurbhanj district), Mahendragiri Hills (Ganjam district), Parlakhemundi Hills (Gajapati district), Puri distrcit, Sundargarh district, Phuljhari Valley (Boudh district), Rebna forest (Keonjhar district) (Odisha State)
- World Distribution : India, Andaman & Nicobar (India), Bangladesh, Myanmar, China, Thailand, Malay Peninsula
- Literature : Pullaiah et al., 2002 - Flora of Eastern Ghats Vol. 1; H.O. Saxena & M. Brahmam, 1994- Flora of Orissa Vol. 1; R. S. Rao and S. H. Sreeramulu, 1986 - Flora of Srikakulam District
- Citation : Sankara Rao, K., Arun Singh R., Deepak Kumar, Raja K Swamy and Navendu Page (2016). Digital Flora of Eastern Ghats. http://easternghats.ces.iisc.ernet.in/plants.php?name=Garcinia xanthochymus. Downloaded on 11 August 2020.